Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 21: That's Not Pretty

 
Tofu Mush with Veggies. Help!
Last night I tried to stir-fry tofu with some pretty dismal - and very ugly - results! The flavors of this dish were great, but my execution, not so much.

Friends who know how to stir-fry tofu cubes to nice, browned, crispy outsides please post some advice or instructions. (I suspect I didn't buy the right kind of tofu, even if labeled "firm".)

I'd like to make this again, but no one's dinner plate should look like this!

Hot and Spicy Tofu
Serves 4

3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 pound firm tofu, cubed
1 red onion, sliced in half-moons
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 jalepeno, sliced into thin strips
3 cloves garlic, crushed, or 1 1/2 tsp garlic puree
1/3 cup hot water
3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, crushed peanuts, and chili-garlic sauce for garnish, if desired

Heat the peanut oil and add tofu. Saute until browned on all sides. (This is what just didn't work for me - after 10 minutes in very hot oil, it was just the lightest tan, and when stirred, even super carefully, it all fell apart. By the time I added veggies and stirred out of necessity, it was just mush. Tasty mush, but mush.) Add onions, red pepper, jalepeno, and garlic and stir fry about 5 more minutes. In the meantime, whisk water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and red pepper flakes together. Add to stir-fry and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened slightly, 2-3 minutes.

Serve over white or brown rice, barley, or quinoa. I added chili-garlic sauce to mine (because I had reduced the heat for Owen), and green onions. Scott and I decided that peanuts (for crunch) and cilantro would also be great complements.

If you try this and succeed, please tell me how!

No comments:

Post a Comment