Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 3: Eat Plants

Michael Pollan's mantra from In Defense of Food (which I admit I haven't read because I know that what's in there will turn me vegetarian, or even vegan, for sure, and I've been prolonging the inevitable) is quoted often:

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

I've had a lot of fun rediscovering the foods that are plants or are derived from plants. Most of the best stuff, actually - all beans, all grains, nuts, olives, oils, vinegars, herbs, fruits, vegetables - and that is making meal planning fun. (There's an episode of Top Chef where the team that chose plants over animal products won the challenge - by making basically a fruit salad!)

Today I found myself out for an impromptu lunch with my in-laws at Keys. Hmm, not exactly quasi-vegan, but since I am eating eggs I figured I could manage. I ordered a black bean veggie burger (sadly, hold the pepper jack), and was delighted to recall that mayo is made with eggs, oil, and vinegar. Then came the sides. I wanted soup (all cream and meaty options), was offered celery and carrots (um, no), and opted instead for tater tots. They are made from plants! It was totally delicious.

However, I'm definitely not following Pollan's advice of "not too much." (See above, tater tots). I also had a giant plate of tonight's yummy offering: Tofu Keema.*

Tofu Keema

16 oz. firm tofu
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. curry powder
14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes with their juice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 fresh jalepeno, diced
2 tbsp each chopped cilantro, basil, and mint, mixed together
salt and pepper to taste
Cooked jasmine rice

Drain tofu and cut into very small dice. Heat oil in a large skillet (with cover) over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until onion is golden brown. Add cumin and cook, stirring, 2 minutes more. Add tofu and curry powder and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes (add veggie stock if you want it saucier). Add peas and jalepenos, and cook for 2-3 minutes more, or until heated through. Serve over rice and sprinkle with herbs.

*I had to look up "keema" - it means minced meat, so I think this recipe name is pretty funny. I thought it was a bit underseasoned; the addition of the herbs is mine because I thought it needed more flavor. I also added red pepper flakes to my plate as I didn't think it was hot enough. If you like your curry very spicy, add more at that step. Scott and I liked this, but Owen gave it a 5 on a 10 point scale.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, In Defense of Food won't turn you into a vegetarian, it'll simply affirm your thought that eating the way you are this month is a healthy, good alternative to "traditional" eating. It also helped me when I wasn't feeling like I really wanted to work hard on the less and healthy options.

    Thought of you when I saw this recipe in real simple - it was a slow cooker recipe, so perhaps it's one of your fails from the weekend. But, it might be worth a shot! I haven't tried it. If it is your epic fail, let me know, cuz I don't want to mess with it if so!

    Slow Cooker Veggie Chili w/ sweet potatoes

    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped (it calls for green, but I know how you feel about those)
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 T chili powder
    1 T cumin
    2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    Salt and pepper
    1 28 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
    1 15.5 ounce can black beans
    1 15.5 ounce can kidney beans (ish. I think we both know I plan on using two cans of black beans)
    1 medium sweet potato (8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    Sour cream, sliced scallions, sliced radishes (YUM!) and tortilla chips

    In a 4 - 6 quart slow cooker, combine the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, 1stp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Add the tomatoes and liquid, beans, sweet potato and 1 cup water.

    Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chili has thickened, on low for 7 - 8 hours, or on high for 4 - 5 hours.

    Serve with S. cream, scallions, radishes and chips.

    ReplyDelete