Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 1: So far, so good

Monday was our first day of vegetarian eating, and we weren't exactly consistent as a family. Who knows what Scott ate for lunch on his own (but he admitted it wasn't vegetarian) and Owen had school lunch chicken nuggets. (Yuck.)

Therefore, I've amended the rules: The boys and Scott are free to do as they please when not eating with me. Let's see if they become inspired to eat vegetarian. (Though, to be honest, I wonder if Owen will even notice!)

Because it's the first week, I've given myself the added challenge of eliminating dairy, sugar, and alcohol for the week (a sort of modified detox diet; I couldn't bear to give up caffeine). I'm not holding the boys and Scott to this either.

For those who asked for recipes, I'll post any good enough to pass on. If they don't pass my taste test (and one from yesterday did not), I won't subject you to it.

Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
Serves 4-6

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
6 cups vegetable broth
1 cup dried split peas
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
salt and pepper to taste
cooked orzo or other small pasta

Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in olive oil in a medium or large soup pot for 5 minutes. Add broth, peas, thyme, chipotle, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes-1 hour (until peas are soft). If desired, blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency, adding broth as needed. Taste and correct seasonings.

Serve topped with a 1/4 cup or so of cooked pasta. (I put more pasta in the kids' bowls.)

I thought this was good, but I love split pea soup. Even though it is all veggies (depending on how much pasta you add), it was very filling. I also thought it was pretty sweet, so I added a good amount of salt and pepper. To quote Owen: "It starts sweet, then gets spicy. Spicy is always the slower taste." A perfect description.

2 comments:

  1. That soup sounds really good. The "best meal ever" would probably do well going vegetarian- everything but the chicken. That's what we're having tonight :)

    ReplyDelete